Tuesday 30 March 2010

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Dear Parents

I have now completed my fourteenth year as Headteacher of Sir Robert Hitcham’s VAP School and I can honestly say I have loved working here. The quality of the school reflects the quality of the people in it and I feel that it has been a real privilege to work with the staff, governors, parents and pupils over these years. People often comment about the lovely, welcoming atmosphere to be found at school and it is true that it has felt like working among an extended family!

With mixed emotions I feel it is now time to move on and I have tendered my resignation to take effect at the end of the summer term. I have told the governors that if necessary I will work a few days a week in the first half of the autumn term until a new Headteacher can be recruited.

Over the years in Framlingham I have worked with some wonderful people and I have many happy memories to take with me into the future. I would like to say thank you to all of you for making my time at Sir Robert Hitcham’s School such a pleasure.

However, far from settling for an easier life, my husband, Will, and I have decided to take up the challenge of going to live and work in Liberia, West Africa and we will be joining SIM, Serving in Mission. Some of you will remember Mr and Mrs Trythall and Miss Long who are working for the same Mission organisation. Will has been asked to be the Country Director for the work of SIM in Liberia, while I will be using my background of skills in education to help develop schools and train teachers in a land where schools were abandoned and burnt out during their 14 years of civil war.

So it is with sadness that I approach saying a farewell but with excitement that I look to the future.
I can assure you that during my last months at Sir Robert Hitcham’s I will continue to hold a steady hand to the helm and life at school will continue as normal, in other words fully packed with exciting learning opportunities!

Yours sincerely

Jenny Elphick