KEY STAGE 2 SATs (Standard Attainment Tests)
You may be aware that across England Headteachers in both of the two main unions, NUT and NAHT, have voted to boycott the KS2 SATs this year. I have always been in support of the reasonable testing of children to inform our Teacher Assessments, however, how the SAT results are used by the Government and by Ofsted leaves a lot to be desired. The creation of League Tables and over emphasis on a narrow curriculum of Maths and English has been the reason for the dissent among Headteachers.
There has been a question over the legality of the industrial action (this is not a stike!) as Headteachers have a statutory responsibility to administer the SATs. In the light of this, reluctantly, I have decided that this year our children will sit the official Year 6 SATs.
Years 3–5 will complete the internal SATs and Year 2 will be assessed by Teacher Assessments as usual.
YEAR 6 LEAVER SERVICE – CHANGE OF DATE – AGAIN!
We are sorry to have changed the date for the Leaver Service yet again!
(There was confusion over the availability of the Church)
We have now gone back to the original date of
TUESDAY 20 JULY at 1.30pm
WALK TO SCHOOL WEEK 2010 – Monday 17 May to Friday 21 May
This item will not be relevant for children who come to school by bus.
We are keen to promote the wider health benefits of keeping active whilst also providing better promotion of road safety and sustainable travel and so we would encourage all families to walk to school this week if at all possible. Perhaps those who normally drive into Framlingham could park on the outskirts of the town and walk in from there. See attached sheet for more information or take a look at http://www.walktoschool.org.uk/ for activities, support and ideas for children and families for that week.
ACTIVITY WEEK ‘NATURE’ – Monday 24 May to Friday 28 May:
We are planning a whole week of activities dedicated to a theme – this year’s theme is ‘Nature’:
· Foundation and KS1 are going to be exploring and investigating their natural surroundings – visiting the Mere, going for walks, learning about trees, birds and flowers in the British Countryside and looking after our environment. Please could children bring in wellingtons and a waterproof coat during this week. Any parents who feel they have particular skills or interests in this area, please let us know.
· Lower KS2 will be taking part in a carousel of activities based on trees, birds and flowers. They will be looking at how to recognise common plants and animals and investigating what is in our local area.
· Upper KS2 - Over the course of the week the children will: create and follow an orienteering course with a nature theme; learn about preparing an planting vegetables; use the Mere as a stimulus for nature based activities; do Nature Art; and collect information about plant growth and species.
DONATIONS FOR NON-UNIFORM DAY – FRIDAY 28 MAY
For the non-uniform day children can bring a suitable donation for the Summer Sports & Fun evening:
· Bottles for a bottle tombola - wine, beer, cider, spirits, non-alcoholic bottles
· Items for Children’s Tombola - NEW items ie toys, pens, stationary, comics, games
· Cakes - please pledge to make a cake
· Books - Good quality adult and children books
· Toys - Excellent quality toys required (all in good working order please - no missing parts, no junk please - this is not a white elephant stall)
More details of the event with ticket booking forms will follow shortly.
HELP NEEDED FOR SUMMER SPORTS & FUN EVENING – FRIDAY 11 JUNE
This year we are combining elements of previous Summer Fetes into the Summer Sports & Fun evening. In addition to main focus with all the local clubs coming in to do Sports and games with the children we hope to have a Bar, BBQ, Tuck Shop, Bottle Tombola, Children's Tombola, Lucky Dip, Bouncy Castle, Cake Stall, Toy & Book Stall, Face Painting and more.
To ensure this event is a success we cannot do it without the support of parents willing to give some time to help run a stall, or help set up or clear away at the event. Please contact Marie-Therese Walker on 723053 or email@example.com or pop into the school office to register your support for the event. Thank you
The Friends would like to say thank you to all the families who filled the charity collection bags with clothing, textiles and shoes, we are really pleased to tell you that the collection weighed 740kg which earnt £296 from Bags2School. For your information there will be another collection on 2 November, just after the Autumn half-term.
FRAMLINGHAM GALA WEEKEND
Please find with this letter details of the Framlingham Gala on the weekend of 28-31 May 2010
AFTER SCHOOL SWIMMING
The Friends hope to start daily after-school swimming on Monday 21 June until Friday 16 July. Parents will receive more details nearer the time.