Monday 28 March 2022

Class LH go back in time

During our ‘School Days’ topic, Class LH have been finding out about what it was like in Victorian classrooms compared to our current classroom.  We have been finding out about the differences and the similarities.  On Friday morning, we actually went back in time to a Victorian classroom.  We wrote diary entries about our experience and this week’s new learning.  The following is a diary entry with one sentence from each child but will hopefully capture an essence of the morning…

Dear Diary,

You won’t believe what happened today! (Esther).

This morning I was scared (Evie). My teacher was different because we were in the Victorian times (Ana-Sohpia).  

The class turned into a Victorian class and I was a bit nervous (Lucas).  When we walked into the classroom, I was surprised because Mrs Hall was being very strict (Ivy).  Mrs Hall was doing the register in the teacher’s logbook (Oliver J).  The desk was big (Oliver T). The dip pen had a feather on the end of it and it was put into an ink bottle to write (Tabitha).   The feather was beautiful (Junior).  We had to stand up when you had a question (Seb). 

Mrs Hall had a dunce’s cap on her desk and a cane - no one got the cane (Zara).  When someone walked in the classroom, we had to stand up (Maddie).

The boys and girls sat on different sides of the class room (Willlow).  We sat in rows and I did not like the Victorian school as we had to be quiet (William).  I was sitting on the boy’s side of the class (Oliver R).

We did the good three R’s – reading, writing and arithmetic and we did hard arithmetic.  We had to chant our times tables (Joss).  We had to write with a slate board and chalk and I had to write with my right hand (Ella-Rose).  I had to write the alphabet and my name (Herbie).  In the afternoon, the girls will do needle-work and the boys will do technical drawing (Laycie).

At the end of the lesson, we sang the National Anthem (Mason).

The Victorian school is different to now as we have different bells and we have radiators instead of coal stoves (Viviana).

It was fun and I enjoyed today. (Hollie)

Until next time! (Mrs Hall)