Wednesday 27 January 2010

Message from Mrs Elphick in Liberia

Mrs Elphick has sent an email to the school office:

This is a map of Liberia - on the West coast of Africa. Click on map to see in more detail.






Hi everyone
It is Tuesday evening and I am sitting in the guest house listening to the waves of the sea lapping on the beach next to the house. It is 10pm and very dark outside. It gets dark here at about 6.30pm all year round. The crickets are chirping in the palm trees and the temperature is over 32 degrees.

Today I have visited the ELWA Academy school which was a delight! The children were rather shy at first and then became very excited to see Prickles and have their photo taken. I have given the letters from DD/PL to the teachers and they were quickly planning how their children will reply! I will bring some pictures of the school for you all to see when I return.

Today I talked with the Local Christian radio station and the Mission hospital leaders to see what work SIM could do for them. There are many needs!!

Yesterday I went to a huge Rubber plantation, the largest in the world. I watched the rubber latex being harvested
from the trees and we visited 3 villages to speak to their church pastors and to members of the community. Prickles came with me and I have pictures of him in churches and village schools.

The food has been interesting and I have eaten many things I have not eaten before! Fried Plantain is lovely a little bit like fried banana but not so sweet and cassava root and yams, which are both a little bit like potato.

I am pleased to say that our guest house has running cold water which is lovely! I start the day and finish it with a cold shower AH Bliss!!

I have seen several types of very friendly lizards but thank goodness no snakes yet!

The Liberian people are great. They are so friendly and welcoming. They are working very hard indeed to improve their country. The children and adults are very keen to get an education, either in school or college. I feel that the future for Liberia is Bright!

On that note Prickles and I are going for a cold shower!! I don’t know who is more excited about the idea Him or me! Prickles tells me that Liberia is too hot for a hedgehog

See you all soon Be good!

Mrs Elphick
This is the Liberian flag